 MediaWatch / 1574
Re: Tough times in Toytown force LEGO® to rebuild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote:
   Tough times in Toytown force LEGO® to rebuild

By Stephen Brown

(Snippage throughout)

LEGO fanaticism on the Internet ranges from the nerdy to the bizarre, with unofficial fan sites like www.lugnet.com featuring movies like “Lego Chainsaw Massacre” and “Spiderman” and a LEGO Bible with a gruesome circumcision scene from the Old Testament.

LEGO pins hopes on the “grandparent effect” -- falling birth rates and richer older people meaning that increasingly spoilt kids will be bought “real” toys rather than computer games.

Kevin Blocksidge, a 17-year-old collector from Ohio, feels LEGO had become confused by “computers and shortened attention spans. Now they’re getting back to their roots and I like it.”

Lenny Hoffman, a 24-year-old Florida librarian with about 50,000 pieces who raves over the “mix of wild creativity and practical engineering” in LEGO, said: “There was a time when every LEGO set I opened, I was amazed by the new building techniques it used. It feels like that time has returned.”

Fans say lower prices “don’t hurt”. LEGO is slashing costs by 700 million Danish crowns (63 million pounds), including 500 jobs, to break even this year after losing 1 billion crowns in 2003.

   http://www.reuters.co.uknewsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=572637§ion=news

-end of report-

Sorry for being a bit late in replying, but hey, this is cool!

The guy emailed me a while back asking questions, but he never showed me the completed article.

I feel so special right now ;-D

~Kevin