 MediaWatch / 1572
Re: Tough times in Toytown force LEGO® to rebuild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:04:42 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Abner wrote:

[Tough times in Toytown force LEGO® to rebuild]

By Stephen Brown

BILLUND, Denmark (Reuters) Aug.27, 2004 - After a day in LEGO® Danish
heartland
it seems so natural for the bellboy, pianist and maitre d' at LEGOLAND Hotel
be made of plastic bricks that real cows grazing near the LEGO factory come as
shock.

"I'd love to have more stuff for girls," said marketing chief Mads Nipper.
"But
right now we cannot let ourselves lose out on our core market of boys from 3-
7-years-old."

Am I the only one who was shocked to read this?  A quick perusal of LEGO
catalogs from 1984--1994 shows clearly that TLG's core market was boys
aged 6--12.  What happened in the past ten years that shrunk TLC's core
market by 29% and skewed it dramatically younger (even, I might add, as
Megabloks was grabbing most of the under-3 market)?

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/