 MediaWatch / 1573
Re: Tough times in Toytown force LEGO® to rebuild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:37:40 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, TWS Garrison <twBASSs@ISmorBESTfydd.net> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Abner wrote:

"I'd love to have more stuff for girls," said marketing chief Mads Nipper.
"But
right now we cannot let ourselves lose out on our core market of boys from 3-
7-years-old."

Am I the only one who was shocked to read this?  A quick perusal of LEGO
catalogs from 1984--1994 shows clearly that TLG's core market was boys
aged 6--12.  What happened in the past ten years that shrunk TLC's core
market by 29% and skewed it dramatically younger (even, I might add, as
Megabloks was grabbing most of the under-3 market)?

I would guess video games.  It's fairly easy to keep kids away from them before
they start school, but once they do and hear of the games other kids are playing
it becomes quite difficult.

Maggie C.