 MediaWatch / 1452
Re: Press release: job cuts etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:41:13 GMT

"Andy Evans" <evansar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:HuoBqr.15oL@lugnet.com...
I think there's another point that is clear if you read between the lines. • I
suspect that the vast majority of TLC's revenue comes from sales to retail
outlets (TRU, Walmart, Target, etc.).  It would appear that retail channel • is
not making money selling LEGO products.  Based on the list of actions it's • also
clear that these retail channels feel that the LEGO Company needs to do a • much
better job in supporting them (better flexibility, inventory management, • etc).
I think they would see the brand retail stores as a competitor or a • distraction.
This might force TLC to "go slow" on brand retail so as to appease their • main
distribution channel.

Other than PAB, I haven't been impressed with the brand retail stores. • Perhaps
they can find a way to do PAB through specialty "boutique" retailers (like
Learning Express)?

Andy

It's been a few years since I worked in a toy shop last, so things may well
have changed, but LEGO's support of shops, especially the smaller shops was
shoddy at best. Orders had to be over a certain (fairly hefty) size, entire
ranges had to be carried rather than being alowed to focus on the better
selling items, etc, etc. (Their reps used to be cute tho :) )

Like I said, things may have already changed, if they haven't however I can
see where there is room for improvement with their retail support

--
James Stacey
------