 MediaWatch / 1030
Re: Bionicle move trailer (sort of)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:26:02 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Ron Sedlmeyer writes:

On Disney's Treasure Planet DVD, there is a trailer/ad for Lego's Bionicle
movie coming out later this year direct to DVD. It wasn't anything special,
no real video shots, just the sort of vague stuff that makes you wonder "Why
was this even on?"  The thing that got me wondering, why this on a Disney
DVD? Did disney do the Bionicle movie? Or Pixar?

     They've been slipping that in on a lot of animated/childrens' DVDs
lately (Spirited Away, Spy Kids 2).  Buena Vista (Disney owned) is supposed
to be distributing the MoL movie, IIRC, but I haven't heard anything to
suggest that Disney is involved in the production end.  A company called
Creative Capers is actually animating the Direct-To-Video Mask of Light
movie, and I believe TLC is picking up most of the production details.  The
2005 theatrical release, on the other hand, will be produced by Miramax
(also Disney owned).  In other words, Disney does have a certain financial
stake in the success of both movies, and it makes perfect sense that they'd
be involved in advertising the Mask of Light movie at this time.