 Marketplace / Theory / 881
Re: Auction Stats!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:48:43 GMT

Troy Cefaratti wrote:
The high bidder for each lot did not even bid on the other lot, so it's
probably safe to assume that they didn't know about it.  They also don't
appear to be people that I recognize from lugnet (not that I know everyone),
so they wouldn't have seen your announcements there.

One thing I tend to do is if I finds a very interesting partial lot, or
notice several lots of interest from the same seller, I look at all
their other auctions. There are certain sellers I routinely check all
their auctions (and if you want to know who those are, you can research
the recent auctions I've won and find out for yourself...)

Quite possibly the fact that there are just so many auctions in eBay that it
is sometimes hard to find just what you are looking for.  Not to mention
some people don't bother to click on "view seller's other auctions".

and had NR) - i.e. stop last minute bidders. Despite this, the last 12
hours of the auction saw a 20% jump in hits, bids and total value.

I've noticed that no matter what I did, messing with end times and duration,
bidding was always concentrated on the first and last days, with most on the
last.  Again I think that this has to do with the volume of auctions on
eBay.  The first day you are listed as "new". The last day you are listed as
"closing soon".  These add extra paths to your auctions for bidders.  Also,
I think that it is human nature to start at either end of the listings,
either page 1 or page 44, but not somewhere in the middle.

This certainly matches my bidding habits. I usually browse the "new"
listings every day. Occaisionally I check the "closing today" list to
see if I missed anything (I will often throw in a bid on something
interesting which has had no bidders). I will freqeuntly re-bid during
the auction period if I get outbid, but sometimes I'll just wait until
closer to the end of the auction.

What is interesting is that you probably see this pattern at a much
harder to see scale with G1-G2-Sold type auctions. Many people will bid
early when the price is a bargain. Some people won't bother bidding
until the bidding slows down. If you know item X will go for at least
$100, why waste energy bidding on it in the $20-30 range. Of course some
bidders will also just jump the bid way up. Why waste time nickle and
diming from $20 up to $100. Besides, they may scare off some bidders by
doing so, though it can also backfire and get someone who was nickle and
diming the auction up because they weren't aware of the value of the
item to change their mind about their maximum, and continue bidding
against you after you jump the bid, where as if it had nickle and dimed
its way up, they might have dropped out at $50, and stay out.

I very rarely use the title/description search (except when researching
recent prices of popular sets - too bad you can only do a title search
on closed auctions).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com