 Marketplace / Theory / 692
Re: Auction Feedback (was: Re: 6067 with an added bonus!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:08:24 GMT

David Eaton wrote in message ...
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
And just for completeness' sake, I'll give some public feedback for Tom:
Do you feel that you were misled or that the condition of the sets
Was I misled? I suppose so. To quote the set descriptions: • <snip>
in reality, I didn't ACTUALLY expect them to be complete. I think I also • might
be more picky than most. To date I've never bought a used castle set that • was
actually "complete". Usually they're missing the horse backings (the 1x2 • plate
and bricks) and almost ALWAYS missing plumes. (of course I didn't count the
plumes as missing pieces, but I DID count the horse backings as missing
pieces.) But of course that's not all the sets were missing. They were also
missing some pretty hard-to-miss pieces, and there were some pieces (like
minifig helms and legs) that were exchanged with pieces of different • colors.
But I expected about what I got. Which is fine, I feel. But that's also why • I
wanted to post some info on Tom-- I imagine there could be people out there
that would be furious at the missing pieces, especially if they paid top • dollar
for the sets. And for those people, at least now I've posted some feedback • on
what to expect from Tom.

   I have always wondered about people who skimp out on the horse backings
as you call them.  Bein' stingy, not givin' up their rare white 1x2 bricks
and plates?!  I must say that bothers me, too, although I have sufficient
back up of my own.  About the feathers, I don't like to give those up
myself, but feel guilty not including them.  Like you, I have come to expect
that, though.  I usually expect one or two regular pieces to be missing as
well, although I try hard not to let it happen when I am selling a set.  I
think the white hat you got more than makes up for missing pieces, assuming
the overall condition is some where near your expectations.  I have had
similar situations with some pieces being basically perfect and others
terrible within the same set when buying from sellers both in the US and in
Europe.  I've come to expect that, too, within reason.

I've bought sets from people that had missing elements, but I
contacted LEGO Consumer Affairs (if I was really • <snip>

Hmm... I haven't tried contacting Consumer affairs-- would they do that for
discontinued sets??? I would think they'd only do it for recent sets that • were
bought recently and only missing a reasonable amount of pieces... And even • I'd
think that they'd need to be all from one set as opposed to a bunch from
different sets...

   Yes, if they have the part, they will sell it to you, even if its from a
discontinued set.  If you have a big list of various missing parts from
several sets, mail it to them, you never know what they may still have
available until you ask.  Wait, better yet, don't, because I might need that
part some day!

Well... again, *I* didn't feel really misled since I was fairly sure what • to
expect, but others could easily be. Hence, I felt that it might be good to • let
people know that might otherwise experience problems. And as far as things • like
this go, what I'd probably ULTIMATELY want is a huge message board for • things
like this, where you can post DETAILED info on each transaction you are
involved with... more for the community's sake. I'm always of the mind that • the
more information, the better, good or bad.

   Thats not a bad idea.  With the current methods (such as eBay) not much
detail is given, and in some cases, people could jump to the wrong
conclusions.
   Your post proves my previous beliefs about Tom (from looking at his
descriptions and available pictures); that he is on the up and up, and
although most of his items are used, they are in fair condition (and not
claimed as otherwise).

By the way, I'm very envious!  Sounds like you got some good
stuff.

   And probably at a very good price, too!

DaveE

--