 Marketplace / Theory / 382
  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) Yes. I haven't seen any disagreement on this one, except from e-bay. :/ (...) No. Philosophically, AFAIC, a bid is a bid - proxy or not - and shouldn't be retractable. There is also at least one practical problem with proxy retraction: timing. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) I tend to say no. Part of a proxy is the notion of what TIME it was given. If I am at 30, have a proxy for 50 which I then raise to 70, it seems to me that the 50-70 part should not be stamped as having the same TIME as the earlier 30-50 part. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) I tend to say yes, with the proviso that the time-stamp gets updated, so the bid looks newer. But I wouldn't give this capability a high priority on the implementation schedule. Steve (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)