 Marketplace / Theory / 2729
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 17:18:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Salm wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Riley wrote:

   It’s not the upfront money, it’s the projected sales that determine whether a new mold is produced. Trains, while popular among AFOLs, just don’t sell well among Lego’s target market.

Perhaps the lack of sales of trains with LEGO’s target markes is because THEY DON’T EVEN KNOW LEGO TRAIN EXIST!!

(snip)

I am not a marketing expert, but I believe that the LEGO GROUP is as much famous for missed marketing opportunies as they are for making little plastic bulding blocks. Too stupid, too bad, tuff luck.

I don’t think it’s missed market opportunities but the nature of the product. Most kids who want a train set want something they can set on the track right out of the box and don’t want to have to mess with building the train first. So by its nature the market for LEGO trains is a sub-market of the market for LEGO itself which automatically makes it pretty small. The best way I see to increase it is to increase the interest in LEGO as a whole.

   Okay, I can’t leave without giving at least one example of why I think this about missed marketing opportunies.

(example snipped)

Okay, here’s my example:

A month ago at a garage sale I saw bin full of LEGO-- sitting on the very top was the mail car from

    7722 Battery Train Set
476 elements, 3 figures, US$68.50, 1985
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 4.5v > Train Set
I knew this was a great find and I bought the lot without even taking a close look. Later when I got it home and examined it I discovered someone had super-glued the car together. It broke my heart.

Maggie C.