 Marketplace / Theory / 2726
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 05:25:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Riley wrote:

   It’s not the upfront money, it’s the projected sales that determine whether a new mold is produced. Trains, while popular among AFOLs, just don’t sell well among Lego’s target market.

Perhaps the lack of sales of trains with LEGO’s target markes is because THEY DON’T EVEN KNOW LEGO TRAIN EXIST!!

In the USA, train sets have been available at standard retail outlets only sporatically ever since the introduction of Lego trains a few decades ago. For most toy buyers, a big expensive train set is not an impulse purchase--it must be planned and money must be saved in order to make the purchase. But when the desired items are not even available on store shelves when it comes time to make that purchase, then the money will go towards something else and LEGO trains will be forgotten.

Take for example the LEGO train sets marketed by TARGET retail stores back two years ago. Those items were only on store shelves at regular prices for less than six months before they were reduced to clearance prices and shoved out the door as fast as possible. No replacement items were introduced to follow them, either. The LEGO trains were there for only a short time and now there are ZERO Lego Trains on the shelves. Part of this problem is TARGET’s retail strategy. Fine, I understand that. But LEGO offered no replacement product. THAT is what baffles me.

I am not a marketing expert, but I believe that the LEGO GROUP is as much famous for missed marketing opportunies as they are for making little plastic bulding blocks. Too stupid, too bad, tuff luck.

Okay, I can’t leave without giving at least one example of why I think this about missed marketing opportunies. So, here is one actual example:

Enfield, Connecticut, is the North American headquarters for LEGO. The home of LEGO Systems, Inc. They have a nice corporate campus that they keep pretty well isolated from the outside world. BUT--just a few miles away is a nice shopping mall with a children’s play area. This play area is filled with stuff for young kids to sit on, ride on, climb on, etc. All the stuff is generic animals or whatever. It is NOT LEGO. Now, if that is NOT a missed marketing opportunity I don’t know what is!

This play area is just 20 steps away from a TARGET store that carries LEGO and not more than 100 steps away from a KBToys store that also carries LEGO. This place is just a five-minute drive away from the North American LEGO headquarters yet there are probably a large percentage of parents in town that do not even know much about LEGO or even have any Lego products in their homes.

Perhaps none of the marketing people in Enfield have ever set foot inside this shopping mall. Again, too stupid, too bad, tuff luck.

.