 Marketplace / Theory / 2727
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:55:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Salm wrote:

   I am not a marketing expert, but I believe that the LEGO GROUP is as much famous for missed marketing opportunies as they are for making little plastic bulding blocks. Too stupid, too bad, tuff luck.

Okay, I can’t leave without giving at least one example of why I think this about missed marketing opportunies. So, here is one actual example:

Enfield, Connecticut, is the North American headquarters for LEGO. The home of LEGO Systems, Inc. They have a nice corporate campus that they keep pretty well isolated from the outside world. BUT--just a few miles away is a nice shopping mall with a children’s play area. This play area is filled with stuff for young kids to sit on, ride on, climb on, etc. All the stuff is generic animals or whatever. It is NOT LEGO. Now, if that is NOT a missed marketing opportunity I don’t know what is!

This play area is just 20 steps away from a TARGET store that carries LEGO and not more than 100 steps away from a KBToys store that also carries LEGO. This place is just a five-minute drive away from the North American LEGO headquarters yet there are probably a large percentage of parents in town that do not even know much about LEGO or even have any Lego products in their homes.

Perhaps none of the marketing people in Enfield have ever set foot inside this shopping mall. Again, too stupid, too bad, tuff luck.

Dealing with a mall can be tricky. Often they are owned by companies that have several malls in an area. They often only accept larger deals, in which a chain has to commit to put a store/play area in EACH of those malls. Also, having a Lego play area and stores that sell Lego can be seen as a conflict of interest. Sure, Target and KB would like a play area promoting their products, but this may come at the expense of increased fees, which they may not willing to pay. Thus, although on the surface this may seem to you like a missed opportuniy, a lot of things are factored in, some of which Lego has no say in (Like lease fees of a KB store).

Paul