 Marketplace / Theory / 2604
    Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing —Todd Thuma
   I read a similar article in another publication about a month ago and it upset me then. I think it was in Newsweek. Anyway, it upset me because the reporter must have been an idoit! The phenomenon of the "loss leader" is a myth! Yes a Myth! I (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

        Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing —Ray Sanders
     (...) snip (...) Another factor involving big-box retailers is shelf-space spiffs (from the manf to the retailer). I'm pretty sure that WM charges for prime location end-caps. The manf's prolly pay WM off in extra product rather than real dollars. (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

        Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Snipped a lot of good info. Most of which I agree with. However I do NOT agree that there is no such thing as a loss leader. Case in point. I went to Best Buy on Black Friday. They were selling DVD players for 19 dollars after rebate. Many (...) (21 years ago, 25-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

        Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing —Steve Demlow
   (...) I once (politely) complained to a Best Buy employee about their fondness for rebates. He agreed, and said that customers claim only about 40% of possible rebates. On one level that irks me, but in another sense I am glad to have that 60% (...) (21 years ago, 26-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory)