 Marketplace / Theory / 2538
Re: TLC's WW Matter (was Re: Death of lugnet.western?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 15:36:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
I agree that they have many products that do not make as much profit.  But
that is part of what LEGO is.  They are a company interested in creating
family oriented educational/creative products.

     Exactly.  TLC has never been profit-oriented, or they would have long
ago diversified into war-toys, or switched to more economical materials (ie:
inferior quality).

I do have some disagreement with paradisa and belville.  First, most young
girls (like my sister) that I have talked to, like regular town or castle
LEGO more than paradisa and belville.  I propose that minifig scale
realistic sets, which are tied to some historical period or literary figure,
are more popular.  This is why my sister does not like the "pink or
oversized" LEGO but she does like the Guarded Inn, Blacksmith Shop, and
Privet Drive.  My other sister who is now in college, and other girls her
age, had many paradisa sets.  I can see how these sets would not be bought
by many parents.

     Maybe they should do a traditional minifig theme focusing on the
Victorian or Elizabethan eras?  Possibly even American Colonial?