 Marketplace / Theory / 2537
Re: TLC's WW Matter (was Re: Death of lugnet.western?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 12:35:35 GMT

In lugnet.western, Rick Clark writes:
In lugnet.western, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
I do not think that LEGO is overdoing it.  But, I do think that LEGO could
benefit from diversifying and add different types of sets that don't follow
"the formula".

Or, as TLC would probably refer to it, "the formula that is profitable."
Actually, for a company as large as LEGO is, I'm surprised that they diversify
into less profitable areas as much as they do (Legends, USC, Bulk, Mosaics).

I agree that they have many products that do not make as much profit.  But
that is part of what LEGO is.  They are a company interested in creating
family oriented educational/creative products.

There is a large market, especially girls, not being reached
by LEGO.  They would appreciate diverse town sets (realistic "sims" types of
sets would be very successful...
<snip>

Hmmm... diverse town sets... Hey, they could do a whole line of sets that are
less action oriented. Sets like a riding stable, a lighthouse, a cafe, a fair...
Oh. Wait a minute...
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/paradisa

How about non-fairy, sim-type sets with realistic doll-type figures and homes.
Well, tried that too:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=5895%2C+5890%2C+5880%2C+5876%2C+5874%2C+5847%2C

I would say that history has repeatedly shown that the large market of girls
doesn't really appreciate diverse town sets. At least not enough to buy them in
large numbers.

At least LEGO is trying.  Unfortunately there is some sort of parent
perspective that LEGO is only for boys, which has been generated by five
decades of sets for boys.

I do have some disagreement with paradisa and belville.  First, most young
girls (like my sister) that I have talked to, like regular town or castle
LEGO more than paradisa and belville.  I propose that minifig scale
realistic sets, which are tied to some historical period or literary figure,
are more popular.  This is why my sister does not like the "pink or
oversized" LEGO but she does like the Guarded Inn, Blacksmith Shop, and
Privet Drive.  My other sister who is now in college, and other girls her
age, had many paradisa sets.  I can see how these sets would not be bought
by many parents.

A large question is what will fly off of shelves.  TLC knows that certain
types of sets will be profitable and so they focus on these.

Now you're thinking like a for-profit company! My guess is that TLC would love
to sell millions of dollars of LEGO products to girls (SCALA, Paradisa,
Belville, Clikits), but until hundreds of thousands of girls start asking for
LEGO sets, or hundreds of thousands of moms and grandmoms start buying them, TLC
will likely continue to focus much of its energies on what works.

Rick Clark

I do not know if realistic sets would work.  But they may be the answer, or
part of it, to this problem.  I also would argue that building toys
including LEGO are having an impact on my profession of architecture.  There
is a great rise in the numbers of young women here and many of them played
with or owned LEGO (like castle, not paradisa).  If LEGO soccer can become a
huge hit, then there is a solution out there.

Ben