 Marketplace / Theory / 2539
Re: TLC's WW Matter (was Re: Death of lugnet.western?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:27:02 GMT

There is a large market, especially girls, not being reached
by LEGO.

How do we know that girls aren't currently being reached? Do we have any
statistical evidence based on proper sampling techniques?

It's just that this claim about girls and Lego appears from time to time on
LUGnet, but it always seems to be based on anecdotal evidence of the form
"my daughter doesn't like Lego as much as my son".

Now you're thinking like a for-profit company!
My guess is that TLC would love to sell millions of dollars of LEGO
products to girls (SCALA, Paradisa, Belville, Clikits)

How do you know that TLC isn't selling millions of dollars of LEGO products
to girls?
And why do you assume that the only Lego products bought by/for girls is
Scala etc?
What makes you think girls aren't buying Harry Potter, Star Wars, Orient
Expedition, Alpha Team?
What makes you think boys aren't buying Belville and Clikits for that
matter?

Anecdotal evidence. Select a random individual: me. Looking over at my table
of currently built Lego sets, I see two Belville sets: Safran's Amazing
Bazaar and Paprika's Mischievous Monkey. I must be a girl! But wait, what's
sitting behind them? A technics pneumatic crane, a Darth Maul sculpture, a
Rebel Blockade Runner, and an Imperial Star Destroyer. I must be a boy! Or,
wait, maybe I am a transsexual?

Kerry,  off to contemplate gender reassignment surgery, if only I could work
out what I am and what I want to be :-)