 Marketplace / Theory / 2450
Re: Hidden Shipping Costs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:42:31 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Dave Schuler writes:
Hi there:
I've got my eye on a few auctions on Ebay, and I'm troubled by the
sellers' choices not to include estimated shipping costs for two of the
items.  It seems to me that it would take very little effort to calcuate
shipping to the four corners of the continental US, if only to give a basic
idea of likely charges.

It would take very little effort, I completely agree.  Unfortunately, I've
run across more than one arrogant eBay seller who thinks they know
everything there is to know about shipping and selling.  Often, they know
little or nothing.  Trust only the information you can verify online.  The
USPS, UPS etc all have excellent websites.

I'd hate to win an auction with a $5.00 bid only to
learn afterwards that shipping is, say, $29.95 or something similar.
So here's the question:  if I submit a bid, and if I end up winning an
auction, am I obligated to meet any shipping costs the seller chooses to
assign?

You are obligated to complete the sale.  eBay is pretty clear about that.
But why not cover yourself and work out the *approximate* postage in
advance.  Any seller who won't work with you to find a good shipping
method/cost, isn't worth dealing with.  They probably are trying to rip you
off with 'handling' fees etc.

What would prevent such a seller from charging a zillion dollars to
ship a baseball card, for example?

Nothing.

Unless you've already got an email from them saying, "I figure I can ship
you that baseball card for around $200."  So when he sends you an invoice
with shipping charges of 1 ZILLION dollars, you have some evidence that he's
the one at fault, not you.  You then have a good case for not completing the
auction.

Even if I email the seller beforehand,
it doesn't seem as though he's under any obligation to respond,

If he doesn't..... he's a putz.  And you can tell him I said so.

Honestly, is that the kind of seller you want to deal with?  You are the
customer.  He's trying to make money from you.  Make him earn his money.  I
have never bid on an item for which I couldn't get hold of the seller
beforehand.  Since most of my auctions are U.S. items shipping to me in
Canada, I have to check before I bid to make sure the seller will ship via
USPS to me.  If they don't answer... or answer like an idiot.... then no
bids from me.

except
perhaps as a courtesy.  I suppose one could simply invoke "caveat emptor" in
true Brady Bunch fashion, but is that the best answer?

It should be more than a courtesy, especially on larger items.  On items I
have sold that were worth more than $50 U.S. I have even sent extra pics to
potential bidders upon request.  I try anything I can to get my bidders to
know that I'm a sweet lovable guy and that they really should try to win my
items.... at any cost.  ;)

Just my 2 cents and 4 years of eBay headaches shared with you!

All the best,
Allan B.