 Marketplace / Theory / 2449
Re: Hidden Shipping Costs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:53:59 GMT

  So here's the question:  if I submit a bid, and if I end up winning an
auction, am I obligated to meet any shipping costs the seller chooses to
assign?  What would prevent such a seller from charging a zillion dollars to
ship a baseball card, for example?  Even if I email the seller beforehand,
it doesn't seem as though he's under any obligation to respond, except
perhaps as a courtesy.

If the seller has lots of positive feedback, then it is unlikely that they are
ripping off their buyers with postage charges, so I probably would not bother
to even ask.

If the seller has little/no feedback, then I would email for clarification. If
they did not reply,  I would not bid. Communication is the key to successful
ebay transactions, so I'd be wary of a seller who did not reply promptly.

Finally, if I really encountered a seller who insisted on an obviously
over-inflated cost (remember that using the WWW you can check the cost of
postage from most countries, so you can usually figure out what is reasonable
if you need to) and would not back down on this point, then I probably would
not pay them and leave negative feedback for them saying why. Of course, it is
likely that the seller would also leave negative feedback for me, but since I
have only positive feedback to date, I'd be prepared to wear a negative
(remembering that I can respond to it with my reasons) in order to warn others
about this seller. However, if you are a new ebay user, you might be less
inclined to take the risk of that strategy.

If in doubt, ask. If no reply, don't bid.

Kerry