 Marketplace / Theory / 2356
Re: Inventory Pricing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:02:52 GMT

there was a guy called Steve Waibel who did a price index magazine called
Buy the Brick. I brought a copy (it was about $5) and he had done a _LOT_ of
research into it. It indexes most if not all sets (definately from late 70s
on) and their cheapest / average / highest e-bay prices over a period. I
think he planned it to be quaterly but many Lego fans didn't like it as it
encourages collecters to speculate :) I did find it useful, and quite
interesting tho.

I cant find any reference to it on the web now and his site has gone. I have
a copy of it in PDF if people are interested

--
James Stacey
---------
www.minifig.co.uk
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ahui Herrera writes:
I'm selling a software application to keep track of your toy collection
inventory (can be used for lEGOS).  It's a quick wy to provide your
insurance company a reference what what you want insured..

http://am_production.tripod.com/Products/TIC/TIC_About.htm

A&M Productions

This got me thinking-- I've kept set inventories in Excel, and also in a
several flat files (currently one used in combo with a Perl parser), but
going back over my nearly 1000 sets that I've entered and locating prices
for them is quite the trick. Lugnet prices are fine for currently • available
items, but what about something from the 80's? Or what if it's not in good
condition? Etc. Makes me think a set valuator would be helpful-- Perhaps
examine various pricing schemes:

- Going flat rate
- Going auction rate
- Original rate
- Going price/piece ratio rate

Flat Rate
Based on BrickLink sale prices, Ebay prices, Lego.com (or Lugnet in the
absence of a Lego.com price) for items < 3 years old.

Auction Rate
Based on Past/Present BrickLink & Ebay final auction prices.

Original Rate
Probably based off of Lugnet set DB price

Going price/piece ration rate
Tricky. Very tricky. Perhaps better to take the theme's overall • price/piece
ratio, but as a price base, you'd have to go off of one of the
aforementioned price schemes (Hey, they spell FAO! Does that mean they're
too pricey?). Or just use a generic (roughly $.10 USD) price/piece rate.

Then you've got to take into account set/piece condition, etc. That might • be
tough. Most likely use a directly sliding scale, but also scale for set • age.
IE a really poor condition 6091 will have a higher loss percentage than an
equally poor condition 6080. Although potentially not, since an MISB 6080
(being the basis for judgement) would actually skyrocket in value. Hence,
perhaps it would actually get a lower loss percentage?

Anyway, this would be about the coolest thing since 2x4 bricks, I'd think.
IIRC someone was selling something similar a couple years back based on • Ebay
prices. I was almost tempted to buy it except for the fact that:

- it was never revealed how accurate it was (taking into account set.
condition, completeness, or "extras" like buying a 6080,6079,6073,6067 all
at once, etc.
- the seller never said which sets were included in the list.
- I'm not sure they even said how many actual sets or auctions were in • the
list of prices they had.

I forget how much they were charging, but I was tempted. Anyway, just
wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this...

DaveE