 Marketplace / Theory / 21
Re: New Product and Promotional Timing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:06:49 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:20 GMT, "Janet Zorn" <lighthouse@bonzai.net>
wrote:

Whereas, since the EP1 sets came out the S@H specials have been, uh,
less than special.

I think that is coincidental, not related.

Whereas, TLG has seemingly abandoned Trains so thoroughly.

Look at European Trains for 1999.

Whereas, with so many pricey SW sets out all at once that are very
hard not to blow your whole Lego budget on.

The SW sets are not cheap, but they aren't as outrageous as they might
be...

Whereas, a new theme, Rock Raiders are hitting the shelves right after
the EP1 sets.

That one is bizarre.  Especially since they weren't due for three more
months.

Whereas, ebay prices of non-SW sets are only slightly less outrageous
than the prices of SW sets.

That data-point is very interesting.  I think there is still a very high
level of un-met demand for online auctioning.

Does anyone have a clue about how TLG has planned the marketing for
this years product lines?

Hmm.  Maybe they threw darts at a wall calendar?

S@H may be restricted by contract with Lucas from offering much if any
discount on any thing anyone would want so as not to canibalize the
brand.

Seems like that would only apply to SW sets.

Should we expect selective discounts this year? E.G., 20% off Space
Command and Adventurers only.

I doubt that we'll see more of this than in previous years.  LEGO already
has a very generous return policy for retailers.  And other SW toys go on
clearance, once the collectors clear out the 5% of the sets worth
collecting.

Why were the Classic SW sets not released en masse earlier or later so
as not to crowd out the $ for EP1?

The Classic SW sets were released earlier -- by about 3 months.  I figure
the release of the classic sets were timed to take advantage of pre-EP1
fever.  Maybe Lucas wanted them out, to raise the awareness of SW, without
revealing anything about EP1.

The only economic rationale I can
think of is that they are counting on all the SW sets being
complements and not substitutes. In other words the
collector/completist motive has to be pretty strong for these sets.

Right.  I agree that this is the rationale, and I think it is a correct
interpretation of how many people will behave.

This could be true, but there are so many great sets this year
compared to the last few years, and these sets are a couple of cents
per piece higher in general than usual.

Really?  I disagree there.  All the theme sets have been juniorized, to a
greater or lesser extent.  Ninjas lesser, Adventurers a bit more, sounds
like Rock Raiders is more, and Space Port is definitely greater.

Also, the Ninja sets are just a bit silly.  Flying ninjas?  Dragon wagons?

What will they do next year?

Release more SW sets, probably Classic Star Wars.  There are many more SW
sets that TLG could produce, just to cover the basics.  I hope TLG never
produces the level of trivial and duplicated sets that other toymakers have
done.  And I think there is little chance of that.

Steve