 Marketplace / Theory / 126
Re: New Product and Promotional Timing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:19:08 GMT

(a bunch of commentary cut)

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 1999 03:15:39 GMT, "Janet Zorn" <lighthouse@bonzai.net>
wrote:
AGREED. The larger sets surprise me at how reasonably priced they are.
I think that I would have advised TLG to raise the prices on the large
sets.

I think the classic sets were positioned very specifically: no high-priced
sets, not too many sets (because they wanted to make a big splash with a
lot of EP1 sets).  And my guess is the Y-wing/TIE fighter combo was
strictly a marketing move.  There is no particular connection between these
ships, but they are in a single set.  Why?  I think it's because TLG wanted
a somewhat-larger set to round out the line, rather than two more $20-$25
sets.

I think there was a very good reason for making the Y-Wing/TIE Figher combo the

most expensive: Darth Vader.  This minifig is not available in any other set
(unlike Luke Skywalker in his many outfits, Qui-Gon Jinn in the EP1 sets, or,
to a lesser extent, Anakin Skywalker).  Similarly, the Gungan Sub, also with a
MSRP of US$49.99, has the only young Obi-Wan Kenobi minifig, whereas every
other minifig from the EP1 Lego sets appears in at least two sets.  My guess is

that TLG is counting on a number of people to buy either of these sets (YW/TF
or GS) just for the relatively rare minifigs.  Of course, I don't have a PhD in

Econ (or anything else for that matter), but I think this was a very conscious
decision by TLG.

Toki