 Marketplace / Theory / 20
19  |  21
Subject:
New Product and Promotional Timing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:20 GMT

Whereas, since the EP1 sets came out the S@H specials have been, uh,
less than special.

Whereas, TLG has seemingly abandoned Trains so thoroughly.

Whereas, with so many pricey SW sets out all at once that are very
hard not to blow your whole Lego budget on.

Whereas, a new theme, Rock Raiders are hitting the shelves right after
the EP1 sets.

Whereas, ebay prices of non-SW sets are only slightly less outrageous
than the prices of SW sets.

Does anyone have a clue about how TLG has planned the marketing for
this years product lines?

S@H may be restricted by contract with Lucas from offering much if any
discount on any thing anyone would want so as not to canibalize the
brand.

Should we expect selective discounts this year? E.G., 20% off Space
Command and Adventurers only.

The ebay prices don't seem to indicate that consumers are substituting
spending on SW for spending on other stuff.

The intro of Rock Raiders and the lack of trains is puzzling to me.
Rock Raiders seem like much closer competitors to SW than do trains,
with trains seeming to appeal to at least some customers who would
never be interested in SW.

Why were the Classic SW sets not released en masse earlier or later so
as not to crowd out the $ for EP1? The only economic rationale I can
think of is that they are counting on all the SW sets being
complements and not substitutes. In other words the
collector/completist motive has to be pretty strong for these sets.
This could be true, but there are so many great sets this year
compared to the last few years, and these sets are a couple of cents
per piece higher in general than usual.

What will they do next year?

DJ Zorn