 Marketplace / Theory / 1946
Re: 2nd largest lot on ebay (?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:47:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:

At least this one has an up-front list of the sets it contains. Seems a tad
pricey to me, but who am I to say what something is worth.

At their estimate the starting bid is two thirds their estimate of retail.
Buy it now is five-sixths. Throw in a big chunk of freight and splitters and
resellers are going to struggle to make decent money for their time.
I don't see many Lego auctions above the $500 mark too.

   It's 66,000 (roughly) pieces.  I usually ballpark $0.10 a piece
   as a fair estimate of true 'value' for retail sets. By that standard
   those sets ought to be worth perhaps $6,000.  But without pictures,
   they shouldn't be surprised to get an offer of $2,500 at best.

   Parted out I get a bit more for the sets, but nine underbed boxes
   isn't much.  I'd be shocked if even a perfect and complete parting-
   out netted $9K.

I wonder why that big bright Lugnet logo is at the bottom of the auction ? Is
the seller a lugnet member ?  Is that legit fair-use ?

It is big isn't it, probably to offset the lack of any images.

   I agree.

I probably would not call it fair use.

   I also agree.  What's its purpose there?

I guess many people use it as a resource and aren't too interested in the
chit-chat.
Saw some other auctions using Todd's Fibblesnork background (uncredited).

   Of course, they're everywhere.

BTW, in case anyone cares, the auction number is 555988173.

Sorry, I was a bit lazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=555988173

   Me too.

   LFB