 Marketplace / Theory / 181
Re: My unfairness vs. profiteering dilemma
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:35:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, "Chris Dee" <chris_w_dee@hotmail.com> writes:
[...]
To avoid accusations of unfairness, an auction of some kind (including
single sealed bid) seems the best method, but this encourages the "maximum
profit" ethic, accusations of profiteering and potentially inflates the
value of such items.

Is there alternative, or did I just misjudge the value? I obviously did set
it too low, becase I got more than one response. Had I set the fixed price
higher would this method have been more acceptable?

Some alternatives:

-  Let a third-party auction the set on your behalf (for some pre-agreed
   upon commission, either fixed or a percentage).  Let them worry about all
   the details of the auction and take all the flak, if any.

-  Sell the set outright to someone for a reasonable fixed value that
   recovers your cost, then let that other person auction it for maximum
   profit, without giving you any kickback which might make you feel guilty.

-  Auction it off to the highest bidder using standard techniques, and
   dontate a percentage of the proceeds (or anything above some pre-set
   value) to charity.

-  Auction it off to the highest bidder and take all the money that comes
   back and use it to buy new LEGO sets to send to children affected by the
   earthquate in Turkey.

--Todd