 Marketplace / Theory / 180
179  |  181
Subject:
My unfairness vs. profiteering dilemma
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:33:02 GMT

I suspect I upset some people with the way I handled the sale of the
glued-together 7725 I found. Although I have not seen direct flameage, there
has been some innuendo on recent 'what is an auction' threads. So, I apologise
if I caused offence, but would like advice on the dilemma I was in.

Basically, I got a bargain, and wanted to share some of my good fortune with
the LUGNET community, but obviously only one person (the ultimate buyer)
benefits directly from this generosity. The "first offer at this fixed price"
method discriminates against those who don't check LUGNET as frequently or
happen to be in the wrong time-zone (ie. asleep) at the time of the posting.

On the other hand I did not want to be so ruthless as to auction this for "as
much as I can get". This seemed particularly relevant becuase of the condition
of the set - glued together, damaged, missing some removable parts - in fact
IMHO not really Lego, just a solid train set that is very compatible with other
Lego sets.

To avoid accusations of unfairness, an auction of some kind (including single
sealed bid) seems the best method, but this encourages the "maximum profit"
ethic, accusations of profiteering and potentially inflates the value of such
items.

Is there alternative, or did I just misjudge the value? I obviously did set
it too low, becase I got more than one response. Had I set the fixed price
higher would this method have been more acceptable?

Chris