 Marketplace / Theory / 1314
Re: Selling some MISB 80s train and town sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:56:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.theory, Torsten Fresemann writes:
Dear friends,

I have some sealed 1980s train and town sets for sale. What's the best way of
going about this without going through eBay? Should I conduct an auction, "you
have until [date] to bid, daily updates will be made" or "the highest bid • above
xxx received before [date] will win the set-no updates", both of which I have
seen conducted here often, or something else entirely?

My preference is for no fixed end date. Takes a bit longer but you'll get the
best bids and i argue it's fairer. Start your G1 G2 cycle early next week
(sunday is only 4 days away, not enough time to get all bidders) and you will
probably have things wrapped up in short order.

If you put out good stuff you'll get some heavy hitters that will bid it up
smartly. Make it fixed end time and heavy hitters that, say, travel a lot and
have spotty access to the net (not that I know anyone like that :-)  ) might
miss out on bidding.

But do what you want... you did ask, though. This is a recurring topic and you
could read lots of thoughts about it if you back through the posts in this very
group.

Fixed end time is one of the main reasons people dislike eBay, for example.

++Lar

PS if you have the right set numbers, I have blank checks ...