 Marketplace / Theory / 1239
Re: dear lego, please set up a global sales site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:43:45 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jonathan Wilson writes:
please set up a web site that sells all sets currently available <snip>to
anyone, anywhere in the world, for the cost to you plus whatever the s&h is
to that country for that item. At the moment there is not one single company
that sells a resonable range of lego to anyone online. There are a few stores
that cary a small amount of lego but none that carry even the limited range
that we get down under. There would be many people that would use this
service, in the US, in europe and elsewhere. If you could combine this
with an expanded service pack range (also available on this site, of
course) and the proposed bulk ordering service then AFOLs the world over
could get the lego they want at a resonable price no matter where they
live. Would a service like this be profitable? Yes, if it was done
right and sold the full range of sets to everywhere in the world. Who
would you rather buy from? legostore.com (just a suggestion for a name)
or joe bloggs on ebay at an inflated price.[edited by respondent]

This is such a great idea!  I wish I had found a way to express this kind of
dynamic thinking myself.  My hat is off to you, Jonathan -- what a genius!

Maybe they could sell overstock and warehouse finds too!  Then they could
close the outlets stores and the U.S. only S@H service (bricks and mortar
business models all, and good ideas if they are needed) in favor of an
internet business model that can be all things Lego to an international
customer base.  I mean, why favor just one group when you can include everyone
in on the fun?

And this doesn't mean that they can't still sell current, in production sets
and brick supplies to interested retailers at the usual wholesale prices and
STILL allow them to compete right alongside with the Lego Direct online
service.  Looks like its pretty much what they do now through S@H.

Even if the retailers decided to drop off, which is unlikely, the profit
margin of selling directly to customers at full retail is much higher.  I
guess it might be suggested that they could sell half the quantity and make
the same profits even so because they are selling at full retail(although the
math might be sloppy here).  As sets get older they could always drop the
price and clear the shelves to their international customer base.  Gosh, they
could even have weekly specials starting every Monday just like they do now
with S@H and reward the diligent return visitors to the Lego Direct online
site.

Why, the TRUE AFOL nearly swoons at the mere thought of it...!

-- Richard (speechless with awe)