 Marketplace / Theory / 1194
Re: Learning experience on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:14:51 GMT

On the subject of bid retractions. I've been running auctions of parted out
8448s. I split the 8448 down to 5 lots. With the last one I listed, a bidder
try to buy the whole car this way. For the 1st 8 or 9 days he outbid every
bidder just a soon as they out bid him. Then, with around a day to go, he
gave up he retracted all his bids -  even on those lots where he was not
high bidder (he claimed he lost his job - but was still bidding on other
lots). The result of this was that all my auction prices collapsed. However,
I gave him the benifit of the doubt and moved on.

Then, when I parted out the next one and listed it, guess what happened.
Yep, the same guy started bidding on the whole car again. I mailed him thus:

"You cancelled bids on my 8448 parts auctions last week. I note you have bid
on more of my auctions. If you cancel your bids on these ones _after_ the
next 24 hours has passed, I will leave negative feed back."

(a rather empty threat I know)

His reply:

"what hell is your problem!"

The same guy also repeatedly tried to get me to sign up to paypal so he'd
get the referral.

Scott A