 Marketplace / Shopping / 9503
Re: You Never Know!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 21:07:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Bert Waters writes:
I was attending a conference in Orlando this week and stopped by the FAO
Schwarz at Point Orlando, to search for gifts for my daughters. I was not
thinking I would find any great Legos, especially at discount prices at an
FAO Schwarz, and to my amazement there was a lone 3033 mixed in with a dozen
Creator buckets on an end cap.

Well... no price was on the blue bucket, and I thought about having to lug
another item to the airport. I already had 4 days worth of clothes, a
laptop, LCD projector, and 20 pounds of handouts. I shopped in the store for
an hour with the big blue bucket in hand. A salesperson asked me if I wanted
a basket after half an hour but I pointed out that the bucket is as big as
their baskets. Finally I found gifts for the girls, Klutz certified books,
and had the bucket scanned, $26, no great price and had to make the
decision...do I purchase the bucket, keep the contents and pitch the bucket?
Do I check in the bucket at the airport and have it boxed, I had to catch a
red eye back to Richmond, VA Saturday morning. Do I forget about all the
hassles of this purchase and return the bucket? Well.. the third option was
never seriously considered.

Now I am at home and writing about my FOTM, bucket and all. Even though it
was $26, I felt as if I were a successful hunter, bringing home today's
catch. I wonder how many other 3033's are in stores and warehouses?

Well...the more I shop, the more I find overlooked treasures.

You never know!

Bert Waters

There was at least one other option you could have used.  Perhaps not ideal in
this situation assuming that your shopping trip occured on a Friday evening,
but even so...
When away from home and you have (Lego) items you need to have transported,
don't forget to consider using the postal service or other common carrier like
UPS or FedEx to get your items where you want them.  It will cost you a bit for
the shipping fees and any containers you need to buy, but you will be sure that
your items will get to where you want them.  Okay, a 3033 tub may not be worth
the cost, but other items may be.

In most cases, valuable items are safer traveling as a parcel tham they are are
luggage.  Insurance is available for parcels and you won't need to carry that
item with you or be concerned about lost or damaged travel luggage.  Not
perfect or ideal in many situations, but it is still an option few people think
of.  International flights that have baggage restrictions make this idea more
reasonable to use.

I know if I were away from home and discovered a hidden stash of excellent Lego
in some shop somewhere, I would opt for shipping it home via post rather than
try to take it on an airplane with me.  Alternately, other personal baggage can
be shipped instead of the Lego and you can take the Lego along as luggage.  The
more valuable the Lego the more carefully you have to consider the options.

__Kevin Salm__