 Marketplace / Shopping / 9196
Re: K-Mart Closings - Is one in your area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:46:00 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
<snip>

I have a little info to share based on visits to several K-Mart stores last
week.

o  All (or at least most) of the stores being closed will receive some
discontinued merchandise from other stores.

o  The closing of the stores (and the clearancing of the inventory) will happen
fairly quickly. Think of it as less than two lunar cycles.

o  Liquidators are involved with the stores being closed. So the exact timing of
discount advances (and locking the doors) in each store may be based on how that
store is doing.

o  My visit to one 'about to be closed store' noted an increase in LoM and
Soccer/Football sets plus a few odds and ends (Slave I for example). You may see
unexpected things pop up as other stores use this as an opportunity to get rid
of stuff that they they were unable to sell (like old Advent Calendar's that I
know to be floating around).

o  As far as I could ascertain, most of the existing inventory in the stores to
be closed, will not be shipped out, but will be sold in place. So if any of
those stores have newer stuff, it may go at discount.

o  My *guess* is that discounting could start as early as a week from now (as
soon as the bankruptcy judge gives the go ahead), but thats only my speculation.

I would be interested in any other info on this subject that others have
learned.

Ray