 Marketplace / Shopping / 9163
Re: K-Mart Closings - Is one in your area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:38:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Ray & All,

Interesting list. Of the ones listed, these are the only ones that I ever get
to. Only three of those I visit frequently (*'ed) and those have not yielded
much for quite a while.

Ozark AL          WalMart across the street
Lake Wales FL     WalMart SC just down the street
Leesburg FL     * WalMart SC just up the street
Live Oak FL     * WalMart SC across town
Marianna FL     * brand new WalMart SC just opened nearby
Brunswick GA      WalMart SC across the street
Hinesville GA     WalMart SC nearby
Perry GA          WalMart SC nearby

Notice a pattern here ?  Several stores that I expected to close, apparently
either own the market (no WM nearby) or are doing well enough to make the cut.

The one here on the North side of Elkhart has a Walmart about a mile away,
the other on the South side has a Walmart around the same distance away.
Very interesting.

Scott S.

Not meaning to jump the gun here, but...

In the summer/fall of 1999 K-Mart had the most recent 'mass closing' of stores.
My recollection is that is was in the range of 60-70 stores that were closed.
That year, they designated several of the stores as 'clearance outlets'.
Those stores received large amounts of merchandise from other stores being
closed (i.e. most anything) and large amounts of specific items that had been
clearanced but had not sold. This later category of merchandise came from most
all stores, not just the stores being closed.

Some of you who around lugnet at that time, may remember a series of posts that
I made about my trips to one of those stores (Valdosta GA) to 'harvest' the
large amount of 'fruit' ripe for the pickings. The first post was here ..
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=5235

This time, they are closing 4-5 times as many stores. If they use the same
procedure as before, then certain of those stores may be designated as outlets
to move the stuff. It would behoove us to keep an eye on the stores on that
list to pick out the ones that might get this priviledge.

As a postscript, the old Valdosta GA Super-K is open again. They re-opened it
last year and it appears to be doing a good business (despite a large, but non-
SC, WalMart right next door). The front parking lot at the Super-K has the only
K-Express gas station that I know of in this part of the country. It *always*
has the lowest price for unleaded. Even more interesting, is that the gas prices
are subject to 'occasional' blue-light specials, where all the prices are
dropped by 5-cents/gal for 15-mins or so. Such a deal.

Ray