 Marketplace / Shopping / 9166
Re: Worst case of gouging I've ever seen. It made me cry.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:00:44 GMT

Oh wait, it gets even sillier. At the very same KB, they had some Ewok
Attacks (MSRP $12.99) mis-tagged at $9.99 even though it, too, was in their
system for the price of $16.99. Wasn't too good a sale, but it might be
awhile before these go on clearance so I bought out all the mistagged ones I
could find. I pointed out the price tag discrepancy when it scanned at $17
and looked the guy in the eye and said, "Those were all the ten-dollar ones
I could find." He just nodded and bagged my Ewoks. Anyway, I think this
might be specific to that one location. That place used to be a real
scalper's paradise back when Episode I and Pokemon were just coming out a
few years ago. The then-management would put clearance and new merchandise
to the side for their friends who'd turn around and resell it 3 or more
times above retail. I once walked in while a team of scalpers were loading
their minivan full of KB bags, while the head scalper was chatting it up
with the store manager. I believe they changed management due to some
complaints to corporate but the new management still tend to over-inflate
the prices on new stuff, I'm *hoping* to discourage scalping which is
rampant in our area, rather than just to price gouge (would be senseless
anyway, Kohl's, K-Mart, and Wal-mart are all clustered around that street,
and they're all at retail).
binky

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

   Kay-Bee ToyWorks, Plainfield, NJ:

   7201, 7202, 7203, and 7204 are all marked at the *steal* price
   of $16.99 each!  That's only $10 more than list!  I think they only
   have a few dozen of each, so hurry out and buy yours TODAY.

   </scarcasm>

   It was so bad that I had to ask if that wasn't just a price-gun
   error--but it was indeed listed at that price in the computer, and
   the salespeople and management were all quite aware that it was
   an incredible and unreasonable markup (and willing to say so).

   Unbelieveable.  Just when I thought it wouldn't get worse than
   $8 for a $6 Landspeeder, I see $17 for a $7 Final Duel.  Can anyone
   else verify this insanity elsewhere in the diseased Kay-Bee network
   of stores?

   best

   LFB