 Marketplace / Shopping / 8626
Re: RIS 2.0 on clearance at Best Buy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:27:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Rick Clark writes:
Matt Penney wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, John Gerlach writes:

Best Buy stores that still have the RIS 2.0 set have it marked down to $64.50...
Good luck
JohnG, GMLTC

To my delight I was able to get a RCX kit at Best Buy.  Now I am just
noticing that the RCX brick is labelled 1.0  :(  Did I still get a good
deal?  and is there a huge difference between the two sets?

Actually, you got a better deal. My understanding is that the 2.0 brick
is identical except for being "upgraded" in the *removal* of the AC
power input (it uses batteries only). You can save a lot of cash using
electricity to power the RCX for all testing and prototyping, and only
using batteries when necessary. So that :( should really be a :)

I thought there were some firmware differences, a few different parts
included, and some changes in the software sent.

The parts are not critical, I think the firmware can be downloaded from LEGO
(but am not sure about that part) and the software sent... well, why would
you want to use if if there's NQC or LegOS??? besides I bet you could buy
the software CD for not much more than the cost of postage from those people
who have many RCXs... for instance our information benefactor Mr. Gerlach
has 20+, he might have some CDs to sell off...

But ya, 1.0 is way better than 1.5 because of the battery issue.