 Marketplace / Shopping / 7942
7941  |  7943
Subject:
LEGO shopping in Maine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:25:46 GMT

For all of you in those populated areas where competition for bargain LEGO is
keen (such as in Northern California :-) ), I have comforting news... it isn't
necessarily true that there are scads of bargains to be had in those
unpopulated backwoods outposts.

TRU's and Walmarts in Eastern Maine have essentially the same stock at the same
price as those in Northern California and, I presume, elsewhere.  I did notice
that the boxes are in much better shape here though.  Unfortunately there are
no Target stores here.  There ARE Ames stores, which we don't have, but I
wasn't impressed with their offerings ($79.99 sets cleared to $79.00 and $29.99
sets cleared to $29.00-- I know someone here has mentioned this before).

The only find was at a tourist bookstore in downtown Bar Harbor-- my kid found
a dusty blue 1879 bucket behind the Beanie Baby display which we got for $6.99
(I also found a yellow Duplo bucket from about 1991 which doesn't appear to
be in the database).

I HAVE found some great bargains here on clothes, particularly if you love
L.L.Bean type stuff, and also there is this discount store called Marden's
which I bet would be great to hit if they ever got any LEGO in (Stephen King is
supposed to frequent the one in Bangor, but I didn't see him when I was there--
actually I was so busy checking out bargains I forget to look!).

It's just as well that I'm not going to return home laden with bargain LEGO
though because now I'll have room to bring back a couple of dozen creme-filled
Dunkin' Donuts!

Maggie C. (the one with all the mosquito bites)