 Marketplace / Shopping / 7727
7726  |  7728
Subject:
Shell Sets in Mebane, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:29:04 GMT

I found the new Shell Promo Sets today in Mebane, NC. They received them
today. The quantities were very limited:

1246 - 1251 Mini Sets (6 each)
1252 - 1253 Tanker and Ferrari Racer/Truck (3, 4)
1254 - 1255 Food Store and Car Wash (2, 3)
1256 Gas Pumps (1)

I went to a Shell in Hillsborough NC and one in Durham but neither had
the new sets. (All three had participated in the last promotion.)

Now for the boring story part:

When I drove up, they had already set out the in-ground signs, a poster
around one of the sign poles, and a very nice LEGO flag. I went in the
store and asked the cashier about the LEGO, and he had no idea what I
was talking about. I snoop around the store for a while, and finally spy
them on the very top shelf, behind the counter, above the cigarettes.
Cigarettes, porn mags, LEGO, all out of reach from impressionable young
minds :)

So I tell the cashier I'd like to buy them. He's very confused about
what I'm talking about, but finally he takes one down. There's no price.
So he can't sell them, and I can't buy them. But the manager will be
there in a few minutes, if I'll wait.

So wait I do. They offer to set them in the back for me, but it's a half
hour drive or more, and besides, I have my eye on that flag. Finally,
the manager comes in. She's the same person I bought the last
promotional sets from, and she remembers me. We have a nice conversation
(the usual "What are you going to do with all of those sets") so I ask
her if I can get the flag, too. She checks, and the nephew of the
original clueless cashier calls the main office to find out. It turns
out that they only get one flag, and it would cost $11 to replace. So I
ask if I can buy it for $11, and she says sure.

As I'm putting my stash in my car, the nephew comes out and asks if I'd
like to buy some old LEGO. I say, sure. He looks confused, so I
emphasize that yes, I will buy their old LEGO, just tell me when I can
come back to look at it (it isn't at the station now.) So to save face,
he asks if I'd like the in-ground sign and the other promotional
material. I say yes, so he goes around back and brings that to me. I
think the parts intended to stick to the pump may make nice mousepads,
after trimming.

I left my name and number in case they either find the old LEGO or get
more LEGO in for this promotion (which is supposed to run through August
5th), but I doubt I'll hear from them.

Cary