 Marketplace / Shopping / 7665
Re: New (?) Lego store in Chicago
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:42:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Paul Sinasohn writes:
I meant to post about this as soon as I returned, but things got in the way.

There is a Lego store in Chicago, in the Northbridge center (about 800
michigan Ave?) along the "Miracle Mile" or whatever they are calling that
shopping area these days. It is fairly close to the Chicago River, in any case
(10 minutes walk from the downtown Hyatt Regency)

It's in the Nordstrums's Building.

I visited there in mid-may, by accident - there is a Lego sculpture of a
security guard in the lobby, and the live guard told me there was a Lego store
on the third floor. So I go up, and I see the usual large sculptures outside -
octopus, etc. They also have a Jefferson (or is it Lincoln) Memorial and down
the hall, a copy of the White House.

Also on the 3rd floor, at the opposite end of the Lego Store is the bathrooms,
well in the hall there, just outside the bathrooms is a large picture made out
of Lego bricks.  I can't recall what of exactly, but I do seem to remember that
it had clear bricks with lights behind them, maybe fireworks?

Inside the store, there are replicas of some of the more famous Chicago
skyscrapers. The things that caught my eye immediately werethe two 2x2x5
lattive towers (part 2586\5?) in WHITE!!!!! Not red, grey, or black, but
white!

They were well-stocked with all themes, including Scala, Belleville, the big
sculpture sets (Statue of Liberty/Dragon/Minifig), and lots of
accessories/doohickies for Mindstorms (temperature sensors, etc)

Lots of kids clothes, some few adult sizes - and "Lego Chicago" baseball caps.

Play areas outside and inside the store, lots of neato old parts no longer
available in sets in the bins...

Full stock of keychains/pencils/pens/watches/etc.

At the times, Scala shoulder bags and mini-purses were on sale.

I'll be back in Chicago at the end of September; leave me a few things, OK??
Has anyone else been there? or known about it?

I have managed to get there twice, both times in Chicago for a completely
different reason.  I like the setup, although I should think the staff would be
a little more knowledgable.  Not to say that they were clueless, just that they
didn't know some set numbers I was asking about, they did know the names
though which is alright.  Last time I was there I bought 17 6498 ( a little
Go-Cart thing), they were a little puzzled, asking me if I was going to be
having a birthday party or something?  I told them about the manufactoring
plant I was working on and they didn't exactly get that a 21yr old would be
still playing, err I mean building with Lego.

Thanks,
Paul Sinasohn
LUGNET #115

-Jason Spears