 Marketplace / Shopping / 7060
Re: no break at walmart for a tattered 8456
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:45:04 GMT

I have an unmentionable relative who works at Wal Mart who said that pricing
is up to the dept manager and they receive a set monthly markdown budget
from corporate to move old merchandise. So the markdowns are spread out over
all the clearance toys  which explains why my local WalMart has $5 Sith
Infiltrators and $58 Gungan subs. After Christmas this same WalMart received
from some dark warehouse 20-6180 Hydro Search Sub for $14. I would love to
see if that warehouse has old Ninja sets. Hope against hope.

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.shopping, Tom Heverly writes:
<snip>

I suppose the box is still on the shelf there,  I can only hope
someone of power notices that box, and decides to mark it down to 50%
off just as I walk into the lego department.

WMs are very funky about mark downs. If something has been around • forever, it
finally goes back to full price. The toy dept can override that, but • usually
won't (especially if someone is showing interest in it). One of the worst • over-
pricing I've encountered was a 6493 Flying Time Boat. MSRP was somewhere • around
$40-44. One of them popped up in a WM (from who knows where) and was • promptly
priced at $49.97. I asked several times about it, but got nowhere. The • last
couple of times I checked, it seems to have been sold. Good for them.

The next worst was the day I found a decent haul at a small WM. I usually • price
everything at an aisle scanner before going to checkout. I found a couple • of
copies of a Technic Star Wars sets (forget which one) that were scanning • for $6
(down for $30-ish). Between the time I scanned it and got to the checkout • (20-30
mins), corporate kicked the price back up to MSRP. *shrug* It was a minor
annoyance on an otherwise good day.

Ray