 Marketplace / Shopping / 6886
Re: eToys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Thomas Garrison writes:
eToys appears to have dropped some of its prices again.  Leo's Castle, for
instance, is $65, and the MTT is $28.  Nothing fantastic, but better than
MSRP.  They may also be running out of some items. . .I
think their computer is
coming up with fewer sets available than before.

Note that they have not lifted the quantity prohibitions. I tried to order
20 of something and failed since I had ordered some in the past, I had to go 15.

It is certainly their perogative to operate as they wish, but I suspect
that,  properly run, they make more, or lose less, on fulfilling a large
number of items to one person than on individual sales. Since they no longer
need to acquire customers or generate customer good will, there is no point
in not running out of stock as fast as they can (that is, why lower prices
if you can get larger sales at higher prices by lifting the quantity
restrictions?)

++Lar