 Marketplace / Shopping / 6711
Re: Bargain in London
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:34:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:

   Also, Europe just doesn't do much discounting.  'Tis a shame.

Sorry, don't agree there...
I've had several great deals in the Netherlands :
Service packs at less than 50% of MSRP, Shell sets like the Ferrari 2556 for
50% or less, and currently some of the small ZNAP sets for less than $2. But
you won't find most bargains in regular toy shops over here...

   Agreed--I've found all of those in the Netherlands,
   and all of those as well in the US. [1]  However, I should
   have been more clear:  I was speaking comparatively
   (the comparison, in this case, being North America).
   So I think the statement "doesn't do much" is still
   valid in that context.

   I *have* been in the Netherlands at times when Bart
   Smit is running clearances; it's usually not a Target-
   level of clearance, but it's not like Zellers' 99-cent
   markdown (Was 79.99, now 79.00?  What a bargain!).
   I don't know if InterToys ever does the same.)  Fences
   and trees for NGL 5.-- was definitely sweet.

   best

   Lindsay (back to Leiden on Sunday!)

   [1] Save the Ferarri--I bought one and brought it back
       with me.