 Marketplace / Shopping / 6647
Re: How safe is PayPal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:23:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Matthew Teets writes:
Brad,

Look at your credit card statements, do they show an extended zip code (+4)?
If so, you won't be able to use Paypal until you call your bank and have
them change it to -0000 because Paypal has a verification system which can't
recognize more than 5 digits.  Of course this totally fries the postal
system and causes the USPS to raise rates because of all the extra mail they
have to manually sort.  I've reported them to the post master general (you
don't mess with the postal service) and he would be a fool not to either
shut them down or force them to change, so there may be at some point, an
interruption in service.  I personally think (as you can tell) Paypal is the
spawn of Satan, because their software seems about as robust as a pinto's
gas tank, and their customer service is lacking if there is a problem.  But
take your chances, you could be lucky.

I think that's a bit overblown... While I have issues with their fee
structure (especially since international buyers can ONLY fund accounts with
credit cards, meaning that I can't get more than 100 from an international
buyer period) I don't see them as all that unreliable. I have never had
trouble that CS didn't promptly resolve, but then, I haven't had any
significant trouble, just a few minor issues.

I'd rate Paypal as safe.

++Lar