 Marketplace / Shopping / 5953
Re: 2001 sets in Orange County, CA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:36:45 GMT

bhamilto1@home.com (Brad Hamilton) wrote in <G4rFK6.2C2@lugnet.com>:

I was at the Mission Viejo TRU and spotted the following sets:

1351 - Movie backdrop studio
1356 - Stunt man Catapult

Hey,  cool!  Could you pick up a couple for me?  ;-)

The Sunnyvale TRU has what seems to be the whole Xmas lineup out (no 7317,
but the rest of the Mars sets,  and several Spielberg sets,  were newly
stocked).

The 7310 was $4,  and too dorky to even consider.

7311 ($7) has definite parts fodder potential,  with those verdigris plates
and half-arches,  and the new click-hinge axle joiners.  I haven't built it
yet,  but the design has an interesting "Classic Space on acid" feel to it:
some of the same shapes and styles,  but in decidedly non-grey colors.

One definite disappointment was the mechanical design of the minifig:  we
go to a distant planet,  meet a new intelligent race,  and what's the first
thing we do?  Tie their shoelaces together!  Talk about mickeymouse
(Speaking of which:  they did the same thing to the Mickey and Minnie figs.
Grrrr).  However,  the clip part of the leg assembly appears thick enough
that it could be cut,  and still have the halves hold their respective
legs.  Is there a plastic surgeon in the house?

I was not able to get the "glow" off the surface of the 7312 cockpit dome
(which suggests a metallic coating) the they showed on the box.  Of course,
I don't have an airbrush...  Should be much nicer looking on space MOCs
than trans-blue Divers bubbles,  though.

Oh,  and if you move the "platform" up a couple of rungs on the ladder,
you can greatly increase the range of the 1356 catapult (I got almost 3
feet,  with no fears whatsoever of breaking parts).  Expect this one to be
real popular with 3rd-graders of all ages...

Ran