 Marketplace / Shopping / 3141
Re: Spring Break Shopping in Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 05:03:33 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Kevin Wilson writes:
Larry P wrote:
"Hudson's Bay Company" I think... Am I right, Canadian trivia buffs?
Originally a Crown Corporation??

The name is right, but I don't think it was ever a crown corporation.
FOunded in 16-something, before they had such things.

'Twas indeed a crown corporation, if not in the sense you're thinking... it was
officially sanctioned and granted exclusive rights within it's crown-delineated
turf in 1670.

The hbc.com site has quite a bit of historic info - not entirely certain as to
veracity, as I've only skimmed bits, but it seems to cover a lot.

Oh you'd love it.

The "Hudson's Bay Company" (That started at "Hudson's Bay" Canada") traded smallpox
infected blankets to the indians of the era. Oh yes, they also traded allot of
beaver pelts and nearly wiped them out...

Dean