 Marketplace / Shopping / 2648
Re: Found Discounted 5978; and Clearance Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:05:27 GMT

Kyle D. Jackson wrote:

Today I found 2 5798s (Sphinx Secret Surprise) with discount prices on them.
They are in the "Boxes are Pretty Beat Up" section of the store, but
everything still looked sealed.  The price was Cdn$33 (approx. US$22).  Is
this a decent price for this kit?  I'm assuming it's a decent kit to begin
with..., the base plate looks pretty cool.  MSRP was US$50 I guess.

This is a pretty decent price, assuming all of the pieces are there.  This set
comes with a lot of good stuff if you like the Adventurers theme: 7 minifigs
(Baron von Barron, Slyboots, Dr. Kilroy, Johnny Thunder, Harry Cane, Miss Pippin
Reed, Mummy of the Pharaoh, and one skeleton with white pharaoh head piece), a
pretty nice 2 seat car, a coffin, several guns, and some nice printed pieces for
the columns.  The jackal and sphinx are quite impressive looking when the set is
built.

Now I have a question about clearances.  I keep reading all these posts about
USA-based Walmart, Target, and other department stores, and even Toys'R'Us,
etc., having these phenomenal clearance sales.  And the whole bit with how
there are general schedules that the stores go through to mark things down,
ie, so many weeks at 15% off, then so many at 50% off, and then 75% to end or
something like that.  And the criterion for clearing them simply seems to
be, "well, they're last year's sets".

Anyhow, my question:  why don't they do this in Canada?  All I ever see are
little 15% off sales, every month or so (Walmart for example).  I don't ever
see things marked down unless the box is bashed in or opened, and even then
the prices are usually regular.  And I don't get why everyone else seems to be
getting sets at 50% off and more, in undamaged shape, and not even a year old.
Biggest score I made was catching an "All Star Wars LEGO 20% off" sale at
T'R'U right after Xmas this year.  The LEGO just seems to slowly disappear at
regular prices, but no clearances.

I don't know why they don't do this in Canada; I agree that it sucks.  One thing
you might try is having stuff shipped to your work address in Detroit (you work in
Detroit, right?  or somewhere across the border in MI?) when you see good prices
advertised on the internet (I got 5978 for $9 from Wal-mart on-line) or visit the
stores in person when you see people write about specials at those stores.

Toki