 Marketplace / Shopping / 2103
Re: Wal-Mart Clearance Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:02:00 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Raymond Flournoy writes:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:07:20 GMT, "Pawel Nazarewicz" <verneer@utk.edu>
wrote:

Just out of experience ...

Do Wal-Marts have a 2nd reduction phase, or will the prices tend to stay the
same on all clearance items?  ....

In my experience in Northern California, WMs are extremely unpredictable
when it comes to discounting.  I have seen or heard of a number of cases where
a store will have a huge number of one set, but instead of marking them down
they'll keep moving them around, until suddenly one day they disappear.

  To add a new data point, the local WM has almost 30 of 5956 (the dirigible
set) on an endcap, and about a week and a half ago they were "stealth
markdown" to $14.  Well this week I scanned them again, and they are back up
to $19.97.  Similarly, two weeks ago the WM combo pack for this year (with the
blue case) was marked down to $22, but this week it is back up to $29.97.

  WM drives me crazy!

--Raymond Flournoy
flournoy@cs.stanford.edu       "Because, of course, a man with an
Computer Science Dept.          obsession is a man who has very little
Stanford University, CA         sales-resistance."      -- C. S. Lewis