 Marketplace / Shopping / 2059
Re: Wal-Mart Clearance Question + K-mart Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:53:19 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:07:20 GMT, "Pawel Nazarewicz" <verneer@utk.edu>
wrote:

Just out of experience ...

Do Wal-Marts have a 2nd reduction phase, or will the prices tend to stay the
same on all clearance items?  ....

  In my experience in Northern California, WMs are extremely unpredictable
when it comes to discounting.  I have seen or heard of a number of cases where
a store will have a huge number of one set, but instead of marking them down
they'll keep moving them around, until suddenly one day they disappear.

  One particularly frustrating case was about 5 or 6 years ago with a wallful
of Load 'N' Haul Railroads.  There were literally dozens of these large sets,
and at first they were marked down 20%, and we waited and waited, and then
suddenly they were full price again!  Over the course of the next year, they
were moved from storage over this or that area, getting more and more beat up
all the time, until a year or so later they had about 15 left, and they were
all open and some pretty torn up.  Then one day they were gone.  I believe
another LUGNET'er asked about them and was told that they had been sent back
to LEGO because they were all unsellable.  Harumph!

  So I've learned not to count on WM.  Of course the stores in your area may
have more reasonable and/or methodical managers, but the ones around here
don't seem to follow predictable patterns.

--Raymond Flournoy
flournoy@cs.stanford.edu       "Because, of course, a man with an
Computer Science Dept.          obsession is a man who has very little
Stanford University, CA         sales-resistance."      -- C. S. Lewis