 Marketplace / Shopping / 1329
Re: US S@H Specials Nov 18 - 21, 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:19:43 GMT

Troy Cefaratti wrote in message ...
Phone specials _do not_ count toward the $75 threshold for receiving a • free
McDonalds set.

Im thinking that it depends on who you talk to.  The gentleman that took my
order gave me a McDonalds set with my order without me even asking for it
(atleast he SAID he did, we'll see if it comes).

And all that I ordered was 10 Amazon Crossings.  Which some have said are • no
longer on special.  :/  Oh well, spend the rest of my money on groceries
anyways....

The only trouble I had was that the salesperson said that the catalog code I
gave did not qualify. I didn't point out that the catalog I was using had
the announcement for the sale because she said "I'll just change the code to
one that did, now let me make sure it didn't change the phone specials, ok,
good." (or something like that). I did order 2 regular items since without
the 2nd Bellville Desert Island set, I didn't hit $75, even after I added
the Scala set. Perhaps the phone specials were what caused the system to
claim I wasn't eligible for the McDonalds, but at any rate, the salesperson
supposedly set it up so I would get one.

Obviously S@H is like many other mail order places, deals always depend on
who you talk to. There was an old saying about Borland that if you didn't
like the answer they gave you, hang up and call back. I remember a magazine
article where they tried about 20 different software vendors, asking to buy
new software at the lowest upgrade price that they had heard about. Almost
every place sold them the full version for the upgrade price (I did this
myself when I got my first version of MS Word for Windows, I called them up,
and said "Is your promotional price of $whatever still available" (the price
being for a competitive upgrade), the salesperson said yes, I placed an
order and got the software).

I have also not yet had a S@H salesperson not allow me to get multiple
McDonalds sets for orders of a multiple of $75, though some have said "I'm
not supposed to do this." Obviously they have been coached that it is indeed
cheaper for them to have you place a single order, so they resist, but
immediately give in if you push them. This is a good tactic, it saves money
on the people who accept things the way they are, and doesn't piss off the
person who really cares, and would probably place several orders to get the
deal.

follow-ups to lugnet.market.theory

Frank