 Marketplace / Shopping / 11897
Re: 5359 spoted at Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:18:59 GMT

It's a very similar set to http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1666 Brick Vac -
designed I think, to allow kids to pick up Basic sized bricks.  Dunno if
that model was any better at picking bricks up than the 5359.

Both the 1666 and the 5359 didn't really "suck" anything up, they tended to
scoop the bricks up, more than anything else.  Imagine, if you will, a
rotating 4-sided large plus-shaped piece of plastic which merely pushed the
bricks which got in it's way backwards into the machine.  From what it shows
on the pics for it, I would imagine they intended a child to be using some
force while "driving" it around on the floor to cause the machine to fling
the bricks upwards a little and therefore make them jump into the space
inside the machine's box.

I can also imagine there would be quite a bit more difficulty picking up
bricks from deep-pile carpet than vinyl floors.  In fact it might even be
impossible on certain surfaces.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

"Darrell Urbien" <durbien@mail.occ.cccd.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders wrote:
While wondering thru Target the other day, I spied a small covey of
Block-O-Dile's snoozing peacefully on a top shelf. Very cool set. A
brick-vac
for the munchkin aged fans ;)

Set 5359, scanned $14.99 IIRC

Ray

You know, I thought the same thing.. It's cute! But as far as actually
sucking
up bricks, it... sucks. I'd say it picks up about 40% of them in one pass.
The
rest either don't get picked up (they just get pushed around) or they get
flung
out of the thing (which looks.. funny). It takes repeated passes to get
more
than a handful of bricks.

After struggling with it for awhile, it became very apparent it would be
easier
to just {pick up} the bricks by hand. As you say, maybe the kids would
enjoy it
for pure entertainment value - they'll certainly build their arm
strength - but
for a practical brick-picker-upper it needs some work. Maybe a little
tooth/brush modification is in order..

Darrell