 Marketplace / Shopping / 11709
  why no pirates in the U.S.?

Why is it that a search for "pirate" at Shop At Home brings up a bunch of pirate kits, all marked "Sorry, item is not available in this country"? Is the entire pirate line only sold in Europe, or what (and why)? I hope this is an appropriate forum (...) (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: why no pirates in the U.S.?

(...) Odd...I swore I saw them at K-Mart just last week, in the US. I am almost positive they are available here. LEGO has pretty much ended doing "US-only"/"Europe only" sets outside of promotional sets. (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: why no pirates in the U.S.?

(...) It's not generally available yet, if you mean the 4+ Jack Stone pirate range. Classic Pirates went on clearance in 1998 and have been "resting" since then. Some sets were reissued in 2001 at the instigation of Lego Direct, but the last of (...) (20 years ago, 8-Sep-04, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  what is LEGO Direct? (was Re: why no pirates in the U.S.?)

(...) Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info. (...) Ah. There's that "Lego Direct" again -- can somebody please tell me what that is? (...) Yeah, did that, read it, read the things linked from it, still have no clue. I know the newsgroup is (...) (20 years ago, 8-Sep-04, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: what is LEGO Direct? (was Re: why no pirates in the U.S.?)

Lego Direct was a branch of Lego which did direct-to-consumer marketing. Including overseeing Shop @ Home. While it existed they spearheaded a bunch of interesting things like the Legend reissues, some new bulk packs, a renaissance in trains, and (...) (20 years ago, 8-Sep-04, to lugnet.market.shopping)