 Marketplace / Shopping / 11676
Re: NBA at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.sports
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:22:03 GMT

I'm a little surprised that these didn't do better based on the fact that
Lego teamed up with Upper Deck on this venture.  They are one of the premier
brands in collectable sports cards.  (And for those of you that haven't
heard of them, their headquarters is not far from Legoland-CA.)  But since
they weren't marketed to the sports collectable stores a la baseball card
packs,  those hobbyist probably didn't jump on them as they had hopped.
Ironically though, they attempted to penetrate this market by adding limited
chase "autographed cards" to the product.  Something that you will find just
about every sports card manufacturer does at some time or another to help
boost the sales of their baseball, football, basketball and/or hockey cards.

As far as these diminutive sports figures targeting the NBA enthusiasts, I
don't know if this group of buyers knew about this product either.  If they
did, it appears that they didn't purchase the product as well as Lego had
hopped.  Instead, these folks were off spending money on such things as
"Bobble Heads" or other highly detailed sports Figures.  Many of these
collectors like the fig to look like their sports superstar with more detail
than just wearing the team colors.  The Lego minifigs didn't even come close
to the limited amount of detail that Kenner put forth in their now defunct
line of Starting Lineups.  And are even further from being considered a
sports "collectable" based on the NBA sports figure product offering from
McFarlane.  If you haven't heard of these things, check out the detail on
some of these beauties at this, http://hometeams.com/nba1.html or any other
website that has pics of the products.

Just my 2 cents.

Ray