 Marketplace / Shopping / 11671
Re: NBA at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.sports
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:40:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Hi all,

Toys R Us is pretty much giving away the NBA 3 fig packs at $1.49 each.

I agree that 1.49 USD is "giving away" by TRU standards. However many many
Dollar General stores in various places I have checked had scads of these 3 fig
packs at 1.00 USD. Unfortunately it seemed like often any one store would have a
lot of one pack and none of any of the others.

Even at 1.00 I have a hard time seeing a use for very many of these. In my view
LEGO may possibly have overpaid for the license, this line hasn't seemed to move
as well as they might have hoped at regular retail.

But then, I'm not much of a sports fan and the pieces in the NBA sets aren't as
useful for other things as some of the other themes (unlike many of the soccer
sets for example)

Fully agree with all these points. Most DG stores have 2 or 3 (out of 8 sets). I
know of one store which has 6 different ones. The fig packs are functionally
useless unless you are collecting the cards or you want plenty of 'extras' for
you LEGO dioramas. They might have sold slightly better if TLC has included a
basketball in each pack. Otherwise, they are merely show and tell.

Ray

P.S. I'm waiting for DG to dump them at 2/$1 or 3/$1. Might never happen, but
there are plenty out there that didn't sell during the last holiday season.