 Marketplace / Shopping / 11674
Re: NBA at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.sports
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:47:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Hi all,

Toys R Us is pretty much giving away the NBA 3 fig packs at $1.49 each.

I agree that 1.49 USD is “giving away” by TRU standards. However many many Dollar General stores in various places I have checked had scads of these 3 fig packs at 1.00 USD. Unfortunately it seemed like often any one store would have a lot of one pack and none of any of the others.

Even at 1.00 I have a hard time seeing a use for very many of these. In my view LEGO may possibly have overpaid for the license, this line hasn’t seemed to move as well as they might have hoped at regular retail.

But then, I’m not much of a sports fan and the pieces in the NBA sets aren’t as useful for other things as some of the other themes (unlike many of the soccer sets for example)

The NBA fig packs have their (admittedly limited) uses. The kids at Brickfest loved my tree made with basketball arms:

Marc Nelson Jr.

Nonsense! There is a use for these. Take the heads off, get some alcohol wipes and wipe those faces off. Now you have some brown and flesh colored 1x1 (minifig head) round bricks. These are useful as architectural embellishments. I’ve got several 1x1 white round bricks this way, with some headless skeletons. (Now what to do with the rest of the bodies.....)

Gary Istok